Sunday, July 3, 2016

Green is for the Congo--The Legend of Tarzan--A Review

Wow! As a fan from my youth of the Tarzan books, I say again, "Wow!" The Legend of Tarzan, did not disappoint me. My mother Diane and I went together today. It is not often that either of us goes to a new movie on opening weekend. However, this was special. As I mentioned, I've been a fan from my youth, and apparently so has my mother, which is a few decades longer at fandom than me.

Until my mid thirties, I use to dream of making a Tarzan film that would do justice to both the character and the author Edgar Rice Burroughs. Of course, I had hoped to play the role of Jane. Obviously, at 55, that opportunity is long past. Yet, viewing this film sent me back thirty years to the days when I first read all the Tarzan novels, 26 or 27 of them. Many movies borrowed the character's name, but not his true character or his legendary status.

As a kid, I enjoyed Johnny Weissmuller, Tarzan films. They did not however capture Tarzan's genius, the savage heart of a beast that lay just beneath the thin veneer of civility learned in a only few short years of his early adult life. Like Batman was the dark, yet heroic alter ego of Bruce Wayne; Tarzan is the darker alter ego of Lord John Clayton, Earl of Greystoke. I say darker, for his animal instincts and survival training made him a ruthless enemy.

This movie captured the Legend, and hinted at the darker side of Lord Greystoke. The enemies were despicable, the natives and animals exploited, (which was a bit of a tribute to the old Tarzan films), but the natives were also brave warriors, some friendly, others less so and with good reason. And, Tarzan's love for Jane was both his civility and his savagery.

The acting was great. Alexander Skarsgard was the best Tarzan of all that preceded him. He was subdued, as was John Clayton, until the beast was unleashed, and then he was as lethal as was necessary. Christoph Waltz seemed to really enjoy his role, as the power driven Leon Rom. And, Samuel L. Jackson as George Washington Williams was a combination of confident supporting hero and awe inspired friend. Margot Robbie's Jane was spunky, a bit fearless, yet not reckless, and adamant that Tarzan would be a frightening foe when he came to her rescue.

I enjoyed the special effects, and the fact that it was not overly action, action, action! Those who criticize the movie's pace can't appreciate the simmering plot until it boils. This was not a summer action movie, it was a Tarzan movie. Tarzan books were not all about action, and trust me there was plenty when appropriate. If you enjoyed the Tarzan books, and still appreciated the old Tarzan films, as a true fan, you should love this film. A true fan will in the very least enjoy it. It is rated PG-13 because some scenes might be frightening to younger children. Otherwise, I would say that it is a family film.

I give it five stars, because it both entertained and captured the heart of Tarzan, one of my favorite characters of all time. I highly recommend it.

Lori Vidak,
7-03-16

No comments:

Post a Comment